South ramparts with mouse towers
Leerdam’s origins as a fortified city are still evident in the south ramparts with their ‘mouse towers’.
Up until 1870, Leerdam was completely enclosed by walls, ramparts and canals. Today, only the south ramparts and towers remain. Known as ‘mouse towers’, these small tower houses were originally built in 1738 and are still in use today as shops and homes.